Nathan is a knowledgeable top-tier trained infrastructure, major resources and energy (renewable and oil and gas) projects specialist with almost a decade’s experience across all stages of the major project lifecycle.
From his experience in closely engaging with clients as part of their day-to-day business operations and working with senior management to prepare all forms of project documents (construction, EPC, services agreements, interface contracts) and implementation of legal advice, Nathan is skilled in conceptualising complex legal and commercial issues and collaborating at both team and management stakeholder levels to obtain commercial/legal input on a time-critical basis and deliver a useful legal solution tailored to individual client needs.
Nathan’s extensive experience in major projects has also allowed him to assist project teams in delivering best-for-project outcomes during the term of the project, and through project close-out he has provided project and contract advice to, and acted on behalf of, major international corporations, multinational joint venturers, major national contractors, and state government departments in complex high value disputes (on behalf of both principal and contractors alike), with an emphasis on major construction and infrastructure projects, energy and resource projects, renewable energy, and mine closure and rehabilitation works.
As a former judge’s associate and having conducted litigation in many courts, Nathan also offers a depth of experience across general commercial dispute resolution and litigation which complements his construction law specialisation.
Having had the opportunity to work with clients of varying levels of sophistication and size over many years, Nathan appreciates the value of communicating advice to clients in an form immediately capable of practical use – which means extending beyond traditional long-form legal advices into other, more practically useful documents and ‘ready to use’ outputs of the advice. He also regularly assists clients to draft documentation, reports and correspondence for internal use, including reports to executives, which succinctly convey the practice consequences or outcome of legal issues and legal advice.
Nathan was this year recognised in ‘The Best Lawyers in Australia: Ones to Watch’, and has served as the Deputy Chair of the Queensland Law Society’s Construction and Infrastructure Law Committee for several years.
Nathan is also a member of the Society of Construction Law Australia.
- Dispute resolution of major public and private capital and infrastructure projects
- Project advisory, front end contract preparation and negotiation, and procurement (construction, projects, healthcare, technology, major plant and equipment)
- Public policy and works
- Advising major international corporations, multinational joint venturers, major national contractors, and state government departments in complex high value disputes (on behalf of both principal and contractors alike), with emphasis on energy and resources, and major construction and infrastructure projects
- Legal and strategic response on behalf of a state-owned-enterprise and key actor involved in the design and construction of Paradise Dam’s response to the Commission of Inquiry in alleged stability issues with Paradise Dam. Engagement involved legal and strategic counsel to executive management team, leadership of legal team, briefing and instructing King’s Counsel, review of more than 75,000 documents of potential relevance, preparation of lay witness evidence and engagement with expert witnesses, attendance at Commission hearings and procurement of public relations expertise.
- Acting directly on behalf of major domestic contractors in both security of payment disputes and general contract dispute process across a series of Australian and international jurisdictions
- Advising EPC contractors, O&M contractors, developers and suppliers involved in the delivery and operation of renewable energy projects across Australia
- Preparation of a comprehensive suite of commercial contracts to enable a client to procure the required goods, services and works necessary to deliver a major Australian mine project
- Contract and dispute resolution management for mining services contractor in south-east Africa
- Drafting and preparing procurement and services contracts for various services in Queensland healthcare market – including, aged care, ICU services, and general medical services supply.