Adam is passionate about business and seeing our clients and our people achieve their potential.
A formidable lawyer and strategist, Adam is a leading advisor to senior management and executive teams.
Adam has deep expertise in the legal support to major capital and infrastructure projects, risk management and governance matters.
In addition to his depth of projects experience, Adam has amassed considerable experience advising clients in relation to the management of corporate risk, business strategy and governance issues and is frequently sought after to develop and lead strategies for the resolution of corporate disputes and to solve business problems.
Recognised for his pragmatic, forthright advice, client service focus, and depth of understanding of his clients’ businesses, Adam is sought after by industry. He is regularly engaged to assist clients in executing their most important projects, to solve their most challenging organisational issues or lead decision making processes.
Adam has led legal support to many multi-billion dollar infrastructure and energy projects, and he and his team regularly support the delivery of built assets across most sectors in Australia, as well as the resolution of dispute or issues that threaten project success, with top tier legal and commercial expertise.
In a distinguished career to date, Adam was appointed equity partner in the Asia Pacific’s largest tier one international law firm before retiring from partnership to establish Merlehan Group in execution of his desire to offer a multi-disciplinary top tier service to clients delivered by some of the best talent in the country. He brings together highly talented people who are passionate about seeing our clients succeed and enables clients to access this talent on demand through Merlehan Group’s holistic and deep understanding of their business and needs.
In addition to leading Merlehan Group, Adam sits on the board of a charity he co-founded, Save Lives Donate Organs Inc, which raises awareness of the benefits of organ donation throughout the country and provides support and a financial lifeline for those who, through no fault of their own, are suffering from organ failure, awaiting an organ transplant and experiencing financial duress.
- Major capital and infrastructure project delivery
- Legal, commercial and corporate risk management
- Dispute resolution
- Business strategy and executive advisory
- One of the world’s largest mining organisations in relation to execution and tender strategy, documentation preparation and evaluation of bids for a $2bn brownfields mine expansion project. Independent tender evaluation support and lead commercial negotiations.
- One of world’s largest mining organisations in relation to the legal and commercial defence of $35m delay, disruption claim on a new mine development project, involving >20,000 project documents. Successfully resolved for less than 10% of the claim value within 3 months of being engaged.
- Strategic legal defence of $90m delay, disruption and acceleration claim on major infrastructure project
- Front end contracting strategy, drafting and negotiation of all construction and procurement contracts, provision of legal advice, issues management and dispute resolution throughout delivery of a $3bn new mine development project (feasibility study to project close-out). Project delivered on time, and under budget.
- Led response to the insolvency of a key civil contractor part way through completion of a $2bn infrastructure project. Strategic counsel, litigation and front-end contract drafting and letting to guide recovery of schedule and minimise project cost impacts. Management of resulting delay and disruption to project and separate contractors. Novel conversion of cost models under distressed existing contracts part way through execution. Successful defence of ambit liquidator claims. Conduct of associated disputes including application for court injunctions in Federal Court of Australia.
- Commercial advisory, strategy, commercial and legal bid support for Australia’s Snowy Hydro 2.0 pumped-hydro renewable project
- Led legal function and provided commercial decision making support to project leadership team for a $2.6bn mine development project.
- Defence of claims against major property developer and strategy for recommencement of distressed development project following insolvency of head contractor. Strategic defence of liquidator’s claims and liquidator’s public examination.
- Risk management and drafting and negotiation of managing contractor delivery model for $300m redevelopment of an operating international airport
- Advice to Executive Chairman in relation to $300m private equity transaction in a major sporting body
- Led multi-disciplinary team conducting business strategy review for APAC region of an international high-end product supplier, including: marketing function reset, business optimisation, cost rationalisation, executive leadership team reset, coaching, and financial turnaround initiatives