A highly practical projects and procurement lawyer with extensive tier one experience, Stephen is passionate about making the complex simple.
Whether it be working through key commercial risks and how best to manage those risks, or drafting contracts that achieve optimal ‘best-for-project/client’ risk allocations which deal with complex risks in a clear, simple way, he is dedicated to ensuring our clients understand the work that is being carried out.
Stephen enjoys applying these skills across a broad range of industries including the transport, mining, commercial property development, education and energy sectors.
Stephen’s clients appreciate his ability to take a commercially astute and practical approach to procuring goods and/or services successfully.
Effective procurement often requires striking a careful balance between managing complex legal risks and accommodating a broad range of commercial imperatives.
Stephen is skilled in tender preparation and negotiation and assisting clients to develop the appropriate procurement strategy and optimal risk profile for each project. Stephen also has a passion for drafting plain English, clear commercial contracts.
Clients benefit from Stephen’s pragmatic and client-focused approach, his breadth of industry expertise and his in-house experience.
He has previously worked as Special Counsel in the Projects, Construction and Infrastructure team at a major international tier one law firm, legal adviser to the Attorney-General of Victoria, corporate solicitor for the Victorian Government (focusing on major projects and infrastructure development) and in-house roles.
Stephen’s depth and breadth of experience delivers unique insights to his clients and novel solutions to otherwise challenging issues.
- Procurement expertise (including risk identification and mitigation, effective tendering and choosing the most appropriate procurement strategy)
- Construction project advisory and front end contract preparation and negotiation
- Pragmatic contract management which recognises that a heavy handed legal approach rarely achieves the desired outcome
- Assisting a major Australian airport to deliver major capital works including terminal redevelopment and refurbishment.
- Advising both developers and suppliers involved in the delivery of renewable energy projects, including major Australian wind and solar farms.
- Preparation of a comprehensive suite of commercial contracts to enable a client to procure the required goods and services to deliver a major Australian mine.